National Advisory Board Spotlight- Kelly Chapman
September 5, 2017: Kelly Boles Chapman hails from Bellevue, Michigan, where she coaches and trains youth and amateurs ina variety of events. Her students have won at such prestigious events as the All-American Quarter Horse Congress and the American Paint Horse World Show, and annually can be found in year-end high point listings.
Question & Answer with Kelly Chapman
1. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE HOBBY?
Watching my kids' sports and activities
2. IF YOU COULD SPEND A DAY WITH ANYONE, PAST OR PRESENT, WHO WOULD IT BE AND WHY?
My mom and grandmother -- to ask them all of the things I never thought of when they were still alive.
3. IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE ANOTHER CAREER, WHAT WOULD YOU WANT TO BE?
I love what I do, but I think one of the most fun jobs would have to be an elementary school gym teacher -- who wouldn’t want to wear sweats every day, get kids excited to bounce around and play?
4. IF YOU COULD BE A PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE IN ANY SPORT, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
A distance runner -- completing a marathon is on my bucket list :)
5. WHAT DO YOU THINK IS MOST IMPORTANT ABOUT COLLEGIATE ATHLETICS?
Collegiate athletics really give student-athletes a chance to further develop the work ethic and commitment that got them to this level in the first place.
6. HOW DO YOU THINK THE SPORT OF EQUESTRIAN MOST BENEFITS YOUNG WOMEN?
This sport teaches and enhances so many skills -- humility, grace, competiveness, responsibility, work ethic -- all things that are essential to making good human beings.
7. HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOURSELF IN THREE WORDS?
Voracious seeker of knowledge
8. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE TRAIT IN A PERSON?
Possession of common sense & logic!
9. WHERE DO YOU SEE YOURSELF IN 10 YEARS?
Hopefully still connecting horses, people, and organizations to be the best they can be.
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE VACATION SPOT?
Any laid back Florida beach
11. IF YOU COULD VISIT ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHERE WOULD YOU GO AND WHY?
Painted Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan's upper peninsula. I've been all over the world but have always wanted to visit this place in Michigan and never have.
12. BEST GIFT YOU HAVE EVER RECEIVED?
Donation in my name to one of my favorite causes
13. WHAT ONE ITEM IN YOUR WARDROBE BEST PERSONIFIES YOU?
Right now it’s a toss-up between my Kimes jeans (so comfortable) and my Twisted X Driving Mocs -- they've changed my life lol!
14. WHAT WAS THE LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED?
The Secret Life of Pets on Netflix :)
15. WHAT WAS THE LAST BOOK YOU READ?
Pride and Prejudice
16. WHAT IS YOUR BEST WAY TO DECOMPRESS?
17. WHAT WOULD YOUR KID(S) SAY IS YOUR BEST DANCE MOVE?
They would cringe at the thought of that
18. RED OR WHITE? YEAR?
Red -- anything from Paso Robles 2012
19. WHAT IS YOUR MOST EMBARRASSING MOMENT?
Being caught anywhere with my Velcro rollers in!
20. DO YOU LACE RIGHT OR LEFT FIRST?
I don't think I've ever slowed down enough to pay attention to that!
21. FAVORITE FAMILY ACTIVITY, OUTSIDE OF EQUESTRIAN?
22. FAVORITE FOOD?
A good medium rare steak
23. WHAT IS ONE OF YOUR PET PEEVES?
Anyone who over promises and under delivers.