Waco, TX- Rebekah Farber is the National Advisory Board Spotlight for the month of March. Rebekah Farber received her undergraduate degree in Educational Psychology from the University of Georgia Magna Cum Laude; her master’s degree in Education from the University of Oregon, and a master’s in Public Policy and Administration from the University of Oregon. She attended post-graduate studies in American Jewish history at the American Jewish University in Los Angeles. She is also a graduate of the Wexner Heritage Program.
At the beginning of her career Rebekah worked as a developer of corporate training programs for Bank of America, Cox, Castle & Nicholson, and Knight Protective Industries. She then founded History Tours of Jewish America, an educational travel program for museums and non-profits including curricula for seven different destinations in the United States incorporating the history, culture, art, and cuisine of the American Jewish experience. She is a contributing consultant to A Portion of the People: 300 Years of Jewish Life in South Carolina, and Shalom Y’All; Images of Jewish Life in the American South.
For the past 25 years Rebekah has worked in the non-profit sector as President of the board of Our House, a grief support center in Los Angeles, co-chair of the Far West Region of United Synagogue Youth’s Endowment Campaign, Treasurer of the board of the Hadassah Foundation in New York, Chair of the board of trustees of RAVSAK, the National Community Jewish Day School Network, Executive VP of the Abraham Joshua Heschel Day School in Northridge, California, and board member of the Zimmer Children’s Museum, the Skirball Museum, The Museum of the Southern Jewish Experience, and the Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles. She and her husband, Howard, are co-founders of de Toledo High School in West Hills, California and she is a Los Angeles advisor to Moving Traditions and Keshet as well as a member of the Jewish Funders Network. She was also president of the University of Georgia Southern California Alumni Chapter for 2 years. She has been the recipient of numerous awards for her service to and support of the non-profit community.
Rebekah divides her time between Encino, California, Crowley Lake, California, and Aiken, South Carolina. She and her husband have 3 children, Hannah, who works and lives in Philadelphia; Max, a senior at Tufts in Boston, and Emma, a sophomore on the hunt seat team at the University of South Carolina. They own Farber Farms, LLC, competing a range of horses from show jumpers to reiners. Rebekah trains her 5 beloved quarter horses in the Parelli style of natural horsemanship.
Question & Answer with Rebekah Farber
- WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE HOBBY?
- IF YOU COULD SPEND A DAY WITH ANYONE, PAST OR PRESENT, WHO WOULD IT BE AND WHY?
My mother. Because I miss her so much.
- IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE ANOTHER CAREER, WHAT WOULD YOU WANT TO BE?
- IF YOU COULD BE A PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE IN ANY SPORT, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
A show jumper or a ballerina. Shoulda, coulda, woulda...
- WHAT DO YOU THINK IS MOST IMPORTANT ABOUT COLLEGIATE ATHLETICS?
1. Teaching young people how to juggle and prioritize the many demands of life.
2. Learning to be part of a team.
- HOW DO YOU THINK THE SPORT OF EQUESTRIAN MOST BENEFITS YOUNG WOMEN?
Like all women's sports, equestrian builds confidence both physically and mentally. Women who learn to push their personal boundaries at a young age and excel academically, physically, and mentally.
- HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOURSELF IN THREE WORDS?
Advocative. Persistent. Mindful.
- WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE TRAIT IN A PERSON?
- WHERE DO YOU SEE YOURSELF IN 10 YEARS?
- WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE VACATION SPOT?
The beach in South Carolina
- IF YOU COULD VISIT ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHERE WOULD YOU GO AND WHY?
Oaxaca, Mexico - The food! The art! The pottery!
- BEST GIFT YOU HAVE EVER RECEIVED?
My husband gives the best gifts ever. Especially when I leave a picture of an item I want on his desk circled with a big red marker!
- WHAT ONE ITEM IN YOUR WARDROBE BEST PERSONIFIES YOU?
Could either be my cowboy boots, or my mink coat. Depends on the day.
- WHAT WAS THE LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED?
The Darkest Hour
- WHAT WAS THE LAST BOOK YOU READ?
Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner
- WHAT IS YOUR BEST WAY TO DECOMPRESS?
Ride my horse
- WHAT WOULD YOUR KID(S) SAY IS YOUR BEST DANCE MOVE?
The Shag of course! South Carolina's state dance!
- RED OR WHITE? YEAR?
California Central Coast Pinot Noir 2015
- WHAT IS YOUR MOST EMBARRASSING MOMENT?
There are so many! But getting bucked off my horse in the middle of the LA Equestrian Center with everybody watching was pretty bad.
- DO YOU LACE RIGHT OR LEFT FIRST?
- WHAT IS ONE OF YOUR PET PEEVES?
Poor manners at the dinner table. I've been known to get up and leave when someone smacks their food or talks too loudly over a meal.
- FAVORITE FAMILY ACTIVITY, OUTSIDE OF EQUESTRIAN?
Cooking. We are all pretty proficient in the kitchen and we entertain alot.
- FAVORITE FOOD?
This is a long list but I couldn't live without Mexican food - especially when avocados are involved!