Anne Mason Jackson, SMU
Waco, TX- The National Collegiate Equestrian Association has announced its December Signature Academics Standout Student-Athlete of the Month. Every month the NCEA recognizes student-athletes for their accomplishments in the ring, however the NCEA would like to highlight athletes on their outstanding performances out of the ring, including academics, philanthropy, outstanding attitude, and embodiment of an ideal teammate.
Name of Athlete: Anne Mason Jackson
School & Year: SMU, Junior
Hometown & Major: Atlanta, GA; Business and English
- Inaugural Equestrian selection by the Athletic Department into the SMU Athletics Leadership Institute with will include a trip to Belize in May when they partner with Courts for Kids to build a multiuse court in the small village of Silver Creek. Only 17 student-athletes were selected for this program within the athletics department at SMU. IN addition, the leadership Institute partners with SMU staff and guests from the NCAA to discuss leadership strategies.
- 2017-18 SMU Equestrian Philanthropy Co-Chair
- Records team community service hours
- Helps team find opportunities to complete 10 hours of service per semester (2015-16 SMU Equestrian Community Service award)
- Has completed over 10 hours of community service hours thus far in the academic year of 2017-18
- Kappa Kappa Gamma Phi Vice President of Standards—Received the Nancy Mose Endowed BBA Scholarship Award for the outstanding BBA student who is in Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and is a leader in campus community.
- Member of the SMU Panhellenic Council
- June 2010-June 2016—Owner and Executive planner for Camp Catch a Bear in Atlanta, Georgia in which she organized, executed, and managed finances for a summer day camp at her home for over 100 children.
- 3.940 GPA Fall 2017; 3.842 cumulative GPA
- Alpha Lambda Delta and Golden Key International Honor Societies
- SMU Honor roll Fall 2015 and Fall 2016
- SMU Honor Roll Spring 2016 with distinction
- Humble and hardworking attitude- asset this fall with helping new freshmen become part of our team.
- July 2017—Intern for the Beazley Group in London, United Kingdom assisting underwriters with research materials
“Anne Mason defines a successful student athlete at SMU. She is the first to volunteer to help others, both on the team and in the community. Her work ethic always shines through both in the classroom and in the arena” said SMU Head Coach Carol Gwin.